background

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

What's in a name?

Apparently too much for us to be able to make a decision! 

And of course this is one of the first questions that every pregnant couple gets asked after "when are you due?" and "do you know if you are having a boy or a girl?". The funny thing is that before we even got married we had a complete list of names that we would name our children, first and middle along with the meanings of both names! (The typed out list, may have been my doing!) Our girl names have not changed, but since we found out we were pregnant we can't seem to fully agree on a boy name now! One thing that we do agree on though is that we want a unique name, not crazy though! For the both of us growing up with names that every year were on the 10 most popular names list, we want our kids' names to be not as common. So we continue to walk a fine line between unique and weird. But really, we aren't considering anything that is really that out there. Mike's dad already said, don't pick a weirdo name! :-p But we have officially been through every page of the boy section in our baby name book and still only have a small list. So I guess we will be making a second trip through it!

If it were up to Mike though we would have the next Gladiator or Rambo on our hands! And I understand that he wants a nice strong name for our lil guy, but I'm against naming him after a movie character! But we do agree that whatever name we decide on has to have a good ring to it for a quarterback and to sound good coming out of the mouths of announcers on Monday Night Football! :-p

Some of the names we are considering are (spelling is still up for debate):
Elijah
Ezekial
Graham
Wesley

But truly those are subject to change at anytime, as they are consistently changing all the time! And I know a lot of people say not to share names because people will give you their opinions on them, good or bad. But we have always said that if we like a name enough there isn't going to be anything that is going change our minds on it. And we know no matter what, not everyone is going to like the name that we choose and that is fine with us. But obviously that isn't the problem for us right now anyways!

At this point I am honestly content going into the hospital with a list of names and waiting to meet him to make our final decision. Again, that may change too if we find the name that we know is supposed to be his! I find it to be a lot of pressure to pick the name that he will have for the rest of his life, that will be the first impression for everyone he meets, and will help define who he is! :-p But I keep saying, we will eventually decide on something, right?!

And hopefully updated belly pics here soon! It is def starting to pop out! I may just have to take one in the mirror myself because I always forget when we are both home.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have a good baby name list going though... I like different but not weird names as well and I must say Graham is very cool! Wesley sounds good too, and I like Elijah but mostly think of the actor when I hear it.

    We have a similar potential problem, we have a boy name picked out that we really like so if it is a girl there's gonna be problems. With the boy name we've gone back and forth a ton as well but this name that we like keeps popping up on our top three while the others changed, so we knew that we really liked that one. I don't think I'll be able to wait till we are at the hospital to decide, I like calling him/her something before the bday :). Start trying names out when you talk about the baby and see how it feels, that's my suggestion.

    /Annette

    ReplyDelete