background

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Feelin' the burn baby...

...or I should say mama!

Today's post is dedicated to exercise! I know for some this is a fun topic and for others not so much. Right now it is a love/hate topic for me! I have always been an active person and through this pregnancy that hasn't changed (except in my first couple of months when alls I could do was get up, go to work, and sleep because I had so much "morning" sickness). Growing up I was a dancer from the age of 4 through college and also enjoyed going for bike rides with my family and going for walks with my mom, into college I started lifting weights, and then since meeting Mike and dating and getting married we have always tried to stay active. We enjoy going to the gym together (its usually our Friday night date night), going for walks as a family, or taking day trips to parks to do some hiking.

When I was starting to feel better it was important to me to make sure that I made the time to get a workout in a few times a week. They say that there are so many perks to working out while you are prego. Some of them being:
Your child may have a healthier heart - which is wonderful
Your children may grow up to be smarter - we know he will have the looks so gotta make sure he gets the brains too!
You might sleep better - I know most moms to be need all the help that they can get at this point in the game
You keep your immune system humming -  which means no need for a flu shot, like I'd get one anyways!
You lower your gestational diabetes risk by as much as 27 percent - which is huge!

And probably the 2 most important reasons to us:
Labor and delivery may be easier and shorter - I am all for doing whatever I can to make the whole process shorter and easier!
You may boost your child’s athletic potential - because that's what really matters in life! :-P Like I said in a previous post we have a lil NFL bound quarterback coming! So I gotta do all that I can to help him out! lol!

(And I know there are many many ladies out there that can't or don't exercise while pregnant and their babies are perfectly healthy, happy, and even athletic too!)

At this point in the game it's getting harder and harder to find the motivation to head to the gym after work because I am just so exhausted and alls I want to do is go home and take a nap or just go to bed! I try to force myself to go by putting it in my calendar and packing my gym bag and putting it in my truck so I can head straight there after work. So then I have no excuse! And I always feel  better though once I get there and get it in, but its just the process of getting there!

With the weather looking more and more like spring its hard not to get out for a walk, especially when Jaxon gives me the sad puppy dog eyes! I can't say no to that! So that is good motivation to make sure I get in some exercise a few times a week!

My view the other day!
A few people have asked what I do when I go to the gym, so I figured I would include that info here. As I was working out before I was pregnant I continued with my normal lifting routine in the beginning. I cut out abs after about week 20 and added more time on the treadmill. Then I started to include some exercises that I found on fitpregnancy.com. So now when I do make it into the gym my workout consists of:
* 10 minute warm up on the treadmill
Squat/relevé - Stand with your legs straight, feet slightly more than hip-width apart and turned slightly out. Hold a 5- to 10-pound dumbbell in each hand (if you can) and rest the weights on your shoulders. Keep your weight on your heels and your chest lifted as you bend both knees and lower your body into a squat [A]. Then straighten your legs and rise up onto the balls of your feet [B]. Lower your heels and repeat for 10–15 reps. Strengthens quadriceps, hamstrings, buttocks and calves.
Plié/alternating heel raises - Stand with your feet slightly farther than hip-width apart, toes and knees turned out to a 45-degree angle. Pull in your belly and drop your tailbone down toward the floor. Keeping your back straight and toes turned out, bend both knees, lowering only as far as you can without changing your pelvis position [A]. In this position, lift your right heel until you’re on the ball of your right foot [B]; then lower it. Repeat with your left foot. Straighten both legs and repeat the entire combination. Complete 10–15 reps. Strengthens quadriceps, hamstrings, buttocks and calves.
* Regular squats - Just regular squats but I hold 10 pound weights in each hand and raise my arms straight out in front of me. Also I have a bench underneath me just in case I lose my balance I don't fall to the ground.
* Abductors - I just use the machine
Adductors - I just use the machine
* Low Rows - To help with my posture, and again I just use the machine
* Reverse flys - To help with my posture as well, and I just use the machine
* Bicep curls - So my arms can with stand holding our little guy for hours and hours! I just use dumbells.
* 20-30 minute walk on the treadmill
* And lastly a 10 minute cool down, including some Yoga stretches and foam rolling

When I am at the gym on back to back days I will lift legs one day and arms the next, but if I have breaks in between then I will do the whole regimen. I also make sure to drink lots and lots of water and listen to my body too and take breaks or cut a workout short when needed.

After all of that I go home and eat some Mac & Cheese! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment